What is the F-1 Student Visa?
The F-1 student visa is a non-immigrant visa. Students who want to study in a high school or a college or want to attend an English course in the US can apply for the F-1 Student Visa. In order to obtain this visa, the student is required to have full-time education at an educational institution in the United States. The concept of full-time education varies by school. However, 15 hours per week in universities and 18 hours full-time in language schools are generally accepted as full-time education.
F-1 Student Visa and Application Process
The F-1 Student Visa is a visa type applied by persons who want to study in the USA. Since the demand for studying abroad in Turkey has shown an increasing trend, there is a growing demand for this visa in Turkey as well. British Council conducted a research project targeting22-24 age group in Turkey and the study revealed that 95% of the young population want to study abroad. The majority of the participants believe that studying abroad will facilitate finding a job. As a natural consequence of this fact, the USA is one of the most preferred countries among the young population in Turkey. Therefore, the F-1 Student Visa is the most applied visa type in Turkey.
How to Apply for an F-1 Student Visa?
F-1 student visa applicants must apply to one of the US Consulates in Turkey.
- Form I-20 is the most important document that your application file must include. Form I-20 is filled out and sent by the institution that you have agreed to study in the USA. This form comprises your personal information along with the SEVIS number beginning with N00.
- Pay approximately200 USD of SEVIS
- Complete your online application by filling in the Form D-160 for the F-1 Student Visa.
- Collect other required documents for the F-1 student visa.
- Don’t be late for your consulate appointment and conclude your interview successfully.
How Long is the Validity Period of F-1 Student Visa?
- The validity period/duration of stay of the visa is 5 years.
When Can an F-1 Student Visa Holder Enter the US?
- A student with an F-1 Student Visa can enter the US as early as 30 days prior to the education program start date.
- You are required to fill Form I-94out online along with the other documents. Form I-94 tracks your US arrival and departure.
What is the Validity Period of the f F-1 Student Visa?
- The F-1 Student Visa is valid up to 60 days after the end of your education period.
Can an F-1 Student Visa Holder Work in the US?
- The F-1 Student Visa Holders are allowed to work on-campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week during the academic year and 40 hours per week during the holidays. However, If a contingency situation occurs student can apply for an on-campus part-time job. Students in this condition should apply to USCIS.
Is the Visa Holder Eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN)?
- If the visa holder works in the US, he/she is eligible for a social security number when they meet the required conditions.
Stay tuned for more information about US visas, investment in the US, merchant and investor visas, trademark registration and patents, buying a house and real estate in the U.S.
You can also visit our office directly, e-mail us or phone.
For Turkish posts please click below.
For English posts please click below.
Practice Areas of John Onal & Associates PC
- Business Law
- Real Estate Law
- Intellectual Property
They Also Read
Forming an LLC in the US is one of the most common issues for many people seeking opportunities to start a business in the US. LLC, a Limited Liability Company. It is a specific business and partnership structure in the United States. In this blogpost we will discuss forming an LLC in the US, investing in America and starting a business in the USA. Let’s take a look at LLC in the US and how to form an LLC in America?..MORE INFORMATION